Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

March 21, 2007

Midterm

Where to begin............ My professor showed up 20 mins late. Then he decided that going over a previous homework problem would be a good idea before the test. Some background: He graded a homework problem incorrectly and a bunch of us asked about it after the last class. We all had the same answer but he insisted that we were all wrong and he was right. He told us we could talk to anyone, including asking God, and it wouldn't make us any more right because he was right. Very professional right? Well today he admitted he was wrong about the homework question and worked the problem out for us. (I don't think he understood that the entire class got it right- we weren't the ones requiring an explanation.)

And the test he wrote was terrible. The wording was poor and there were several problems that didn't make any sense. Several of the questions covered material that was never covered in the course. It was bizarre. Everyone in the class was really angry. Almost hostile. Class is from 7:20 til 10pm. I left around 10:30 and there were still people in the class! In the end, I actually think I did ok but only because I happened to have seen some of the material in a previous course. But who knows if he'll be able to grade the test correctly either, since he hasn't been able to grade our homework correctly. Apparently the statistics department is known as being a little "lacking". I take some comfort in the fact that this is the only statistics class I have to take; the rest will all be in Operations Research. It's just sad though because I've always loved statistics. I'm that random 1% of the population that gets really excited about stats and data. I was looking forward to this class. Now I just want it to hurry up and end.

No comments: