Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

April 09, 2007

Work, Work, Work

I was surprised to get to work today and find that my boss was there. She is now 9 months and 1 day pregnant. Her due date was Sunday but apparently the little boy or girl wasn't ready to make its' appearance yet. So she's still working. Crazy. Everyone is waiting for her to go into labor at any moment. I'm glad she didn't go into labor just yet because it gave us some time to transfer some of the final details of her job to me. I actually feel pretty decent about taking over for her now. Still a little bit nervous about taking over some activities I've never done before, but mostly ok. In case this isn't clear, I'll be taking over her responsibilities while she's on maternity leave. Eventually the idea is for me to take over for her permanently but that will probably be a while.

I've been shadowing her over the last few weeks, and been involved in a lot of the senior management level activities. I was able to participate in some corporate strategy meetings, as well as now being involved in their weekly management meetings, proposal writing, and interviewing. It's part of what I was missing at my last job. I had the appropriate title to be included in those things, but there was a disconnect with management. They saw Quality like an HR function and didn't find the need to include either in corporate planning. This company takes a more holistic approach which fits in much more with my view of how an organization should run. Plus, I get to experience new things, learn, and grow in my career. So I continue to be impressed with my new job. Guess it's not so new anymore- I can't believe I've been here 2 months already!

No comments: