Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

April 04, 2007

Meeting with the Department Chair

I met with the Operations Research Department Chair today regarding my professor. I wrote a letter explaining my complaint and providing detailed examples of the problem. The Department Chair was not surprised; apparently they have had complaints about this professor in the past. No surprise there. What I am surprised about is that nothing has been done. What has happened in this class is entirely unacceptable. We talked through my complaints and she did say that no one had ever come with such a compelling case. I think people have complained in the past but not provided something written as a formal complaint with the details of the problem. She told me she would escalate the situation to the Dean to see what further action can be taken.

As for me, she told me I could probably drop the course and get credit for the graduate level statistics course I took as an undergrad. The problem is I would still have to take 10 courses to complete the degree so it would extend my graduation date and I would lose the money from this semester. Since the semester is only about 5 weeks from ending, it's not really worth all that. So I'm sticking with it. The one positive thing that came from this meeting is that she explained that, given the situation, if there is an issue with my grade at the end of the semester I can appeal the grade and they will review the course issues, grade, and my past performance to determine if the grade reflects my knowledge. So at least there's that.

I left the meeting feeling a little disappointed. I'm not sure where this will go, if anywhere. But at least now I feel like I've done the right thing in reporting this. Someone needed to speak up and I've done that. That's all I can do. Now it's up to the school to do what's right.

No comments: