Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

April 23, 2007

Taking over for Stephanie

I was naively hopeful that when my boss went on maternity leave, I wouldn't really be taking over ALL of her responsibilities. I was very very wrong to hope for such things. I suppose it doesn't help that her boss, our COO, is also out this entire month. So the projects seem to be turning to me for everything. We have one project that requires a little more handholding than others and I swear I hear from them at least 10 times a day, asking me to review something or help with something or give advice on something. I don't mind the responsibility or helping, in fact I'm really enjoying the role. The only problem is that we're also supposed to be preparing to go to CMMI Level 3 in the fall and I haven't even had a second to think about it since my boss left. I worked 14 hours today, all on one project. Just to clarify, I am not a project person; I'm a corporate person that is supposed to be aiding the projects with quality. So I'm wearing a lot of hats right now. I'm definitely getting involved in a lot of interesting project activities which I like, but it also gets a little frustrating sometimes knowing all of the other things I should be doing but don't have time for. Sometimes I just want to tell some of the project members to think things through a little more before punting to me for help. There are times when I feel like they create a very rough draft of something, assuming I will take the time to fix all of the gaps, without considering the fact that I might have my own tasks to do too. So that can get a little frustrating. At the same time, it is so interesting to see all the aspects of the project and to be able to help in such a big way.

No comments: