Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

April 12, 2007

Self Help Books

We went to the bookstore tonight and I was browsing through the management section to see if there was anything good. A coworker recommended a book she is reading so I thought I'd check it out. Well, the self help section is nearby and I couldn't help but browse some of the titles. I will preface what I'm about to say by stating that I do understand some types of self help books. For instance, I think it's appropriate to have helpful information that people who are going through real life struggles can relate to and that will help them cope and heal. So I am not referring to books on abuse, depression, illness, etc.

That said, I can't understand the value of the majority of self help books. Books like "Happiness Now", I don't get. Seriously, I'm not making up that title. It makes me sad that people really think they need to read a book to tell them how to be happy. Especially since happiness is so subjective. These days everyone thinks they have some big issue. It's almost like they want one. Why not be happy about the fact that your biggest problem is not being 100% happy and feeling like you need to read a book on how to be happy? I mean, really. Nothing that bad has happened to you if that's what you're reading.

This whole concept goes along with the growing tendency for people to look outside of themselves for self-worth and fulfillment. People like to talk about the number of friends they have and how many plans they have and I just don't get it. People seem to think that by filling their lives with things, whether material items, a bunch of plans, or lots of people, they are more fulfilled and "happier". Or if they follow some set of instructions in a book, they will miraculously be happier. I wish people would dump the self help books and just consider what really makes them happy. People need to look inside themselves more and find comfort in who they are. And if they can't be happy just being themselves, then they should think about what changes they need to make to become the kind of person they want to be. You don't need a book for that.

No comments: