Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

April 03, 2007

Allergy Testing

Today I went to get tested for allergies. They prick your skin with about 100 different possible allergens and see if your skin reacts by swelling, etc. Testing has come a long way- they used to prick you with individual needles but now it's like little scratches done 8 at a time. So much better. But I now have arms covered in red, swollen areas. And it itched so much! The test showed what I already knew- I'm allergic to basically everything that grows and blooms, as well as dust. Since I can't take the normal allergy medications because they make me groggy and unable to function, the doctor prescribed some alternatives for dealing with my allergies. I also now have an inhaler to help open up my lungs after being outside. I feel like a sickly little kid. I'm starting on the allergy shots next week, which should eventually make me less allergic to all these things by building up the antibodies for them. But it will take awhile so I'll probably suffer for another season or so. The shots should be interesting, considering my needle phobia, but completely worth it if it means I can play outside. :) Plus, I have to be able to do my long walks with the puppies- it's my favorite time of year!

No comments: