Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

April 21, 2007

George Carlin

Tonight we went to see George Carlin at the Warner Theater. I was torn about going to the Warner after all the problems I had with those tickets before. But we already had the tickets. One thing I will say I'm a little happy about- the Warner doesn't seem to be booking a lot of good shows, which I feel is at least a little deserved after their mis-handling of the BACI Management situation.

Anyway, we went to see Carlin tonight. The verdict has always been out on Carlin for me as to whether I like his style of comedy or not. Some of it just seems rude for the sake of being rude. For instance, he did a couple of jokes that were very derogatory towards women. Then he later stated that he feels women haven't been treated right and haven't truly achieved equality even though they deserve it. But to me, that statement is nullified after you've told a joke where you call a woman the c word or refer to gang banging. I don't think you get to go back and cover that with a blanket statement that women deserve more than they're getting. It's hypocritical and perpetuates the poor treatment of women. To be clear, I have no problem with making fun of traits that women stereotypically have. The same goes for men, race, religion, etc. But just using derogatory language with no substance seems like an excuse to use the language, as opposed to an attempt to be funny. It struck me as low class.

The rest of the show was pretty good. He had some funny bits about politics and religion that I actually found very funny. But overall, it was just kinda slow. I don't know if it's because he's getting older, but I left feeling like the show was only ok. I feel like I've seen some better acts from unknown names at the Improv.

No comments: