Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

February 06, 2007

Alcoholism: the easy way out

Seriously. Is everything dismissed by alcoholism these days? Seems that way. More and more people keep popping into the news for infidelity, molestation of minors, beauty queens gone awry, etc and they all just kind of brush it off due to their "alcohol problems". Puh-lease. Where is the accountability? Why can't people take responsibility for their actions?

The latest in the string of "addicts" is Mayor Newsom in San Francisco. My opinion about Mayor Newsom and his affair is that I don't care! What he chooses in his personal life is really no one's business. (Ok, I do think there are limits- child molesting should be punished, but we're talking about a guy that was getting a divorce who slept with another man's wife.) I may not agree with his decisions or condone them, but it wouldn't keep me from voting for him. What we should be concerned about is his ability to do his job. I just don't believe that infidelity should automatically be equated to someone's lack of ability to do their job. However, I am frustrated by people covering up their problems with a claim of alcoholism. THAT would keep me from voting for someone.

I would respect these "addicts" a lot more if they just took responsibility for their actions. Even tell people it's none of their business and handle it privately. The mayor first came out saying that he did sleep with his campaign manager's wife and that he would take responsibility for that. But within what? a few days? he's already back saying he has an alcohol problem! He did say that it didn't excuse his behavior, but who are you kidding? It's the newest trend- get caught doing something you shouldn't, claim alcoholism. So disappointing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

To speak to the whole Newsome thing - a politician's infidelity will have an affect on some, maybe even most, voters. In my opinion, if a guy (or girl) cheats on their significant other, then there's a serious trust and integrity issue. If they can't handle home affairs responsibly, how can they handle public affairs in the same way? Now, this being said, I doubt most San Francisco voters will think this way simply because of the demographic of voters there, and Newsome will probably be re-elected in a landlide in the next election. I love to visit San Fran but could never live there for how liberal it is, even by moderate's standards. They don't call it San Fran-freak-o for nothing. :)

Emily said...

I struggle with that issue myself because I'm not sure that someone's home life does reflect their work life. Many of today's top business and government people (I say people but I primarily mean men) have trouble not cheating on their spouses but they run some pretty good businesses. So it's hard to say. But I definitely agree that it speaks volumes about their character.