Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

January 23, 2008

Beginning the Spring Semester

This week was the first week of the spring semester. I can't say I was really looking forward to it- it takes up so much time and I have so many other things I want to be doing. But I know this is good for my future and most of the topics are interesting, so it's worth it.

The first class I'm taking is on Decision Theory and is more of a psychology class than operations research, although they are related in this class. It will focus on how people make decisions, which I think is good knowledge as a manager. I'm not sure what to think of an OR class not based on math, but I'm excited about it. The subject matter is interesting and hopefully it will be a little less intense than some of the other classes I've taken.

The second class I'm taking is called Integer Programming and is primarily math, setting up mathematical models, using various software programs to code/create models, and analyzing the outcomes of said models. This is NOT my area of interest. The geek in me does think some of this is interesting but it sounds like it's going to be a LOT of work. The professor is known for giving insanely long homework assignments.

Both of my classes are tiny this semester- between 6-8 people. It should be interesting, as both professors are open to lots of discussion and letting the students help guide how long we spend on various topics based on our interests. I'm pretty excited about that as none of my classes have been this way so far.

No comments: