Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

October 18, 2007

Ellen

Anyone see the story about Ellen? Apparently this is important enough to be on CNN cause I don't watch her show. I won't get into the sadness of this being on CNN......

So Ellen got a dog from an adoption agency, decided not to keep it, and gave it away. The adoption agency took the dog back because their policy states that Ellen should have returned the dog to them; she does not have the right to give it to someone else. And she went on her show and cried instead of doing her opening bit. So there's the story; now I have to comment.

I am sure she signed something when she purchased the dog saying that if she couldn't keep it, she would return it. I had to sign that when I got Georgie and Izzie. And I know that if I ever couldn't keep them (yeah, right), I would have to give them back to Lost Dog Rescue. I signed and agreed to that. These rules are in place for a reason. We all like to believe the best in people but unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this world who take animals for granted. That's WHY there are so many lost dogs! People get puppies thinking it will be so much fun and then they realize it's actually work and get bored with it. People end up trying to pawn their dogs off on anyone who will take them or just let them run off. The rule is in place to prevent the dogs from being lost again. And while Ellen may have found a good family for her dog, others aren't so good about placing their pets in good homes.

The thing is, I'm sure that if she had just called the adoption agency and told them the situation, she could have "returned" the dog to the adoption agency and they would have immediately allowed the new family to adopt it. The adoption agencies are not evil places trying to keep people from their dogs. But if they don't follow procedures for one person, then they can no longer enforce them on anyone else. They are good people, trying hard to get these pups into good homes and I'd be willing to bet that Ellen's friends would have been able to adopt the dog had they just called the agency.

Instead, after crying on her show, supporters called in death threats to the adoption agency. Death threats? Seriously? There are people in this country so enthralled with celebrities that they are willing to make death threats on their behalf over a dog? Are you kidding me? People have really lost their hold on reality.

I'm glad the company didn't back down because if they did, it would only be because she's a celebrity. I am sick and tired of celebrities getting special treatment. She should go through the same process as every other person. And if the dog really meant so much to her, maybe she shouldn't have given it away.

No comments: