Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

February 07, 2009

Alvin Ailey

Today was one of those memorably great days. I went to my dance class during the day, then met Molly and Toby for an evening at the Kennedy Center. We went to see the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, which I've always wanted to see but never had the chance. We met for dinner at the Kennedy Center cafeteria beforehand. It brought a new definition to "cafeteria". There was a chef and I had an amazing dish with pasta, veggies, and scallops. Delicious.

The show was amazing, probably the best dance performance I've ever seen. The dancers were unbelievably good and the dances were full of emotion and meaning. You could tell the dancers felt their performance, which sounds like it should be the norm for dancers but isn't always the case.

I found that I used to know one of the male dancers in the company. He took class at this awful studio in Arizona. I remember taking some master classes with him at conventions. The guy was amazing, even as a teenager. He was one of those dancers that you knew was going to be a dancer for his career, so no surprise that he's part of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

To top off an incredible day of dance, the weather took a crazy turn and it was beautiful day, mid-60's or so (up about 40 degrees from a few days earlier). Gorgeous. It's crazy how much weather can affect the mood of a day. I was so happy; I can't wait for the warm weather to come.

1 comment:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.