Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

October 13, 2008

All Hands and Happy Hour

We had an All Hands meeting today for work. We have them on most government holidays because our project people don't need to be at their project site but the days aren't observed holidays by Platinum (like Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Presidents Day, etc). I've learned that All Hands is not a common term, so to explain- it just means that everyone from the company meets for a day of training and team building.

I got to make the big announcement to the company about our successful Level 3 appraisal. I was surprised by how interested people were and how many questions were asked. I also gave training on conducting Peer Reviews (reviewing peers work on the projects). Generally, I don't really care for speaking to large groups. Over the years I've developed a nervousness that I have no control over. I still get up there and speak because I refuse to give in to the nervousness. It's more irritating than anything. It doesn't seem to make any sense since I grew up dancing on stage at competitions. I think it has more to do with the fear of forgetting what I was supposed to say or saying something really stupid than actually a fear of getting up in front of people.

Anyway, the training went well. I was worried that with such a large group, people would just sort of glaze over and not pay attention. But there were a lot of questions so that's a good sign that the training was worthwhile. It makes me happy to finally feel like I'm not just "that chick from corporate". I actually know the people on the projects. I think it makes for better training sessions because people feel like they can approach me and ask me questions. So I left feeling like it was a success. We ended the day with a Rock Band competition which was just ridiculous (in a good way).

Ok, on to the good stuff........ happy hour! A bunch of us (well, the cool kids) went to a bar called Ned Devine's in Herndon for happy hour after the meeting. We planned to be there for a few hours but it quickly turned into an all night event. I think the clincher was probably the jagerbombs. I have self-control to turn down most drinks, but I will not turn down a jagerbomb. Jager by itself.... eh. Red Bull by itself..... gross. The combination of the two..... magical. :) The night was a lot of fun and I realized around midnight that I was in no shape for driving. I had to hang out another hour or more just to make sure it was safe to drive. I won't consider driving when there's even a chance I've had too much to drink- just too stupid. I think I got home around 2am and yes, Tuesday hurt.

Anne, me, and Molly at Happy Hour


Jagerbombs!!!

No comments: