Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

June 29, 2007

Jimmy Buffett Concert

Finally- I got tickets! Michael and I went to the Buffett concert tonight. I've been to a bunch of Buffett concerts but I think the last one was probably in 2000. It's been awhile.

My very first concert experience (other than little things with my mom as a kid) was Buffett when I was 15. I went in Ohio when I was visiting after the move to Arizona. All but 2 of the people I went with were arrested for underage drinking (I was not drinking). Apparently at concerts, they don't really take you anywhere after being arrested, but instead processed the kids there, called parents, and then we were still all able to attend the concert. Go figure. Anyway, we spent the day in the field where we parked, hanging out with other parrotheads. It was crazy. It rained (ok poured) and there was a huge natural mudslide that people were sliding down. The whole experience was craziness, as every good Buffett concert should be. :)

I've also seen Buffett in Phoenix several times and in Virginia Beach with my mom. Can't remember if I saw him in Indiana......... I tried to get tickets this year for Buffett but they sold out within minutes. A coworker knew someone with extra tickets so I literally walked into work today and found out I was going to Buffett tonight. The concert was great, although it rained the entire time. In some ways, I think it was better in the rain because otherwise it would have been about 100 degrees. There were kids trying to slide down the hill (nothing like my Ohio experience) but it definitely brought back some memories. The Buffett concerts have come full circle. :)

The culture of Buffett is much different in Northern Virginia than in other places I've been. Other places are more into the whole parrothead theme. I didn't feel like I had the same experience as at other venues. Maybe it's because other places let you party all day before the concert and Nissan Pavilion is very strict about not allowing that. Maybe it's because we arrived shortly before the concert and it rained the whole time. Or maybe this area just has a different culture in general. I swear, DC is an anomaly in so many regards.

Things I learned at the Buffett concert:
1. The rain jacket I've been using for several years is apparently water resistant and not water proof. A very important distinction when standing in pouring rain for hours. I had a rain jacket but was soaked to the bone. :)
2. Nissan Pavilion parking sucks. The concert venue only has 2 exits from the parking lot. We arrived shortly before the concert started and were near the back of the lot. When we left, we just sat in line (literally not moving) for over an hour.
3. Buffett has changed. A lot of his music is more country now than it used to be. I guess I'm a bigger fan of his older music. Still a great concert.

No comments: