Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

June 03, 2007

Baby Proof

I just finished the book "Baby Proof" by Emily Giffin. Since I'm not taking the summer off from school, I'm reading "lighter" books right now. ;) It dealt with the topic of a couple who had agreed they didn't want kids and then once married, one decides that they do. It's interesting to me because I've never been 100% sure of whether I want kids so I enjoyed reading the story of someone with similar ideas (even if it is fiction). I've always thought it odd that people don't explore whether they want kids but just assume they will have them because it's what is expected at a certain point in life. No one takes the time to think of whether it's really what they want. And by "want", I don't mean wanting to just "have" kids, but wanting to raise and nurture another human being into a productive member of society. People forget that part all too often. And I think many people have kids for all the wrong reasons. It's always been important to me to think through these things so that if I decide I want kids, I'll do it right, not just have them to check the box on the checklist of life. The book explores the depths people will go for relationships and to have kids- some good, some bad. Good summer reading.

No comments: