Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

May 25, 2007

My New Friend James

In order to get allergy drops instead of allergy shots, I had to get a blood test for my allergies. As I've mentioned, I'm needle phobic so the idea of having blood drawn is not pleasant. And it's been a REALLY long time since I've had blood drawn so I've had time to build up the idea of the trauma involved with needles. I finally psyched myself up to go get the blood drawn- I bailed on the first appointment. I am SO good at finding reasons not to go. :)

I got to the doctor's office and the nurses promptly told me I have no veins. Fabulous. So I guess they just decided to go for it with no knowledge of where the veins are. They stuck me with the needle and then just start wiggling it around under my skin, searching for the vein. What is wrong with these people? I told them I was phobic, but I guess they thought contributing to my reasons for being phobic would be a good idea. After the arm didn't work, they tried the vein in my hand and did the same wiggling technique (FYI- wiggling a needle around under your skin in your hand HURTS). Is that what they call it in nursing school- the wiggling technique? Or were these people actually competent at one point in their careers?

After torturing me with the wiggling needles, they finally sent me to the lab to get a professional to do the job. You'd think they would have done that originally since they couldn't find the veins. Just a thought. Anyway, I explained the situation to the lab and they got their "best guy" who does babies and people with hard to find veins. The guy, James, was really nice and careful and got it on the first try. (I think I developed an immediate crush.) I must have thanked him about a hundred times. So basically all blood work in my future will be done by James.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.