Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

January 20, 2009

Inauguration

For the first time, I was truly excited about an Inauguration. This inauguration is historic; it will be something to tell my children about. Having the opportunity to attend was incredible and something I couldn't pass up.

The concert on Sunday was amazing. There were a bunch of great performers (Springsteen, Garth Brooks, U2, etc.) but the amazing part had more to do with the atmosphere. You could feel the energy and the spirit of the people there. Unbelievable. I'm not one to be easily moved but there were moments when I had to fight back the tears. Looking at the crowd, I could see the hope on the faces around me. People are ready for change in a way that I don't think has happened at any other point in my lifetime. Adding to that the historic moment of electing our first African American President was almost to much to handle. I wish I could better communicate the feeling. Hopefully all of the pictures I'm posting will help.
Crowd at the concert

Security at the concert
A group of us got tickets to the Inauguration through a friend so we were up early on Tuesday to head out to wait in the long lines. At about 9am, they shut down everything, said the area was full, and it no longer mattered that we had tickets: we weren't getting in. We actually had a pretty good view but decided that it was too cold to stand there for another couple of hours. Plus, with the craziness of the crowds, we weren't sure we would make it to the parade if we stayed. And I couldn't feel my toes- that was the deciding factor for me.

The crowd trying to get in to the Inauguration
The message is true, even if the grammar is poor.
We spent the next 2 hours trying to travel about 10 blocks; I guess you could say we took the scenic route. Many of the streets were already closed so it was difficult to get anywhere. I've never seen so many people. At one point, we actually walked through a tunnel that was blocked off; seeing people walking on major roads with no cars was bizarre. It felt like Armageddon.

We watched the parade from a friend of a friend's apartment that overlooked Pennsylvania Ave. We were right at the point where Obama and Biden got out of their cars and walked. It was a moment that I will always remember.
These few days were exhausting but completely worth it. I feel so fortunate to have been part of this historic weekend.
Many of the pics in this posting were taken by Dan Murphy (gotta give credit where it's due). The boy is talented. This is my favorite picture of the weekend. I think it encompasses the feeling of the Inauguration and everyone's hope for the change that is desperately needed in our country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are some really great photos. What a day it was.