Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

November 20, 2007

Politics at Work

Our CMMI consultant was in the office today and we tend to get into political conversations. It's interesting because he's a very religious, very Republican guy- so basically my opposite. It's always interesting to talk to him because while he holds very different beliefs than me, we are both mature enough to be able to discuss the issues without getting upset. I find that's a difficult trait to find. People get so emotional about politics; half the time I think people don't even know what they're talking about, they just passionately regurgitate whatever they've heard on t.v.

The conversation did get heated and I found myself frustrated because I don't recall detailed facts easily. When I read, I gather information in my head and develop an overall idea or opinion of things. But I don't retain the details. It's how I think in all areas of my life and I find it does hinder my conversations and even my work at times. I was frustrated because he kept asking for examples and I couldn't give them, not because they don't exist but because I have trouble remembering them.

I've been doing this since I was a kid. In school, I would retain information long enough for a test and then I would lose it because I didn't use the information on a regular basis. Probably not a good thing to admit, huh? I just don't retain information I don't use. How do you change a behavior that's been so ingrained?

No comments: