Laugh when you can,
Apologize when you should,
And let go of what you can't change.

November 05, 2007

Case Studies

School this semester has been.... unusual. I'm taking a class that isn't heavily based in math or statistics like the other classes I've taken so far. Instead, it's a course on military operations research and focuses on effectiveness analysis. It's with a professor that I've had before and in the previous course, he was very focused on having a significant amount of homework and getting the right answers. So this class confused me by having much less homework and focusing on real world case studies. The case studies have no "right" answer since they are real world military issues. Once I shifted gears to this new perspective, it has been much more interesting.

I've been having trouble getting excited about grad school lately because it's so theoretical. That's fine if you want to do research, but I don't think I'll end up going that route. I solve real world issues in my career that have multiple potential solutions. The interesting part of this class has been learning various modeling techniques to help analyze multiple decisions and determine which will be most effective. I can actually use this stuff!

No comments: